Friday, August 28, 2009

Troy and Pamukkale

Troy, the city of great power in ancient Roman times, but then its now just left with ruins...



My trip to Troy was actually in a hurry, with limited time and also long way to travel, the trip has somewhat became a Japanese tourist trip (been there, took a photo and done, I was in Troy).

Although it is just left with ruins, but the site was still amazing...


It is the first time that I experience ancient city walls, thick and tall...
And be amazed at the fact that God torn down to wall of Jericho in ancient times...
One thing I really like about ancient or old buildings is that given the fact that technology wasn't available in olden days, but the great structures and building were built and still stand firm till this very day...

After a few hours of looking at the ruins of Troy and the beautiful site at Gallipoli (Just some sea view and landscape), our trip to Pamukkale began... The actual distance between Both places is actually less than 400km, but then thanks to the GOOD road system that Turkey has, it took us almost 10 hours and 800km before reaching Pamukkale at 12 mid night...

Pamukkale, means cotton castle in Turkish... Although it has nothing to do with cotton, but the view was spectacular... Maybe because the whole hill is covered with white calcium deposites, and from far it looks like it is covered with cotton wool, hence the name pamukkale was named.



Pamukkale is actually a hot spring, if I am not mistaken, according to the locals, in ancient Roman times, the empress and emperor will spend some time in here each year... The water that was at the spring was always at about 35 to 40 degrees Celsius, at its really a nice feeling and when I was there at dawn, the hill was virtually orange in colour, so nice... Guess if I was there during sunset, it will become red in colour too as it reflect the colour of the sky. The more I travel around, the more I realised that I am such a small fly in this big and wonderful world that God has made.

This is the last trip out of Samsun as my stay in Turkey comes to an end, the drive back to Istanbul to catch the flight was long and tiring. I really want to thank God for all the protection He has given to me, as there were so many near misses on the road. Turkey holds 1 of the highest accident rate in the world, due to the condition of the roads, the cars on the road and driver's mentality. When I reached to the airport, I really was relieved and give God all glory for protecting me in this trip. And "Gule gule" (Good bye in Turkish language) Turkey.

No comments: